How to Incorporate Highlighter Stick into Your Everyday Makeup
Want to achieve a goddess glow on the go? Stick highlighters can be your purse-sized secret weapon for instant radiance
Updated February 1, 2024.
Looking to sculpt your cheekbones, brighten your eyes, and achieve a dewy, radiant glow anytime, anywhere? Highlighters use light reflection to make your features stand out and illuminate your skin.
Unlike powders or liquids, stick highlighters have a creamy texture that blends seamlessly with other makeup, making them perfect for of on-the-go touch-ups. So, let's explore how you can incorporate this product into your beauty routine
How to Apply a Highlighter Stick
Swipe the highlighter on cheekbones, blend outwards, and dab on other high points like brow bone and cupid's bow for a natural, radiant glow. Build intensity slowly and set with powder for lasting effect.
Finding the Proper Placement
No matter your face shape, highlight areas you want to .tand out, such as cheekbones, brow bone, and Cupid's bow. You can experiment and find the look you like the most.
Here are some additional tips:
- Apply highlighter under your blush, even on the apples of your cheeks.
- Top it with a light, matte blush for a subtle, radiant look.
- Apply a stick highlighter on your mobile eyelid as an eyeshadow for a touch of shimmer.
- Dab a bit on the center of your top and bottom lips—not the Cupid's bow—to create the illusion of volume.
Consider Your Environment
Outdoors natural light is more forgiving, and you can go a bit bolder with your highlighter sticks. Consider applying a bit less for office jobs, as fluorescent light can amplify the effect and make it look intense.
» Check out the ultimate guide to different types of blush
Highlighter Stick Dos and Don'ts
- Blend, Blend, Blend: Avoid shimmer, emphasizing texture by blending seamlessly.
- Highlight Wisely: Place highlighter on areas you want to accentuate. Choose two areas so as not to overdo it.
- Skip Textured Areas: Enlarged pores and blemishes will catch the shimmer.
- Less is More: Use a wet wipe to remove excess highlighter instead of patting as it spreads shimmer.
- Precise Application: Aim for a natural glow, not a product layer.
- Mattifying Fix: Tone down excess highlighter with a touch of finishing powder.
Note: Sticks cater to different preferences: matte finishes offer a subtle, natural glow, while shimmer ones give a dazzling, eye-catching look.
Tips For All-Day Wear
- Setting spray: Apply after makeup for extended wear, including on highlight.
- Foundation: Apply highlighter sticks right after the foundation to grip better.
- Double layer: Layer cream highlighter under the powder for extra staying power.
» Stay on top of what's hot with the latest makeup trends for 2024
Highlighter Stick Hacks for Every Occasion
- Daytime: Extend your look all day with setting spray—spritz your highlight before applying for an extra dose of shimmer and lasting power.
- Night Out: Embrace bolder highlighting for evening events. Add a touch to your eyelids, on your Cupid's bow, and under blush for a lit-from-within glow.
- Red Carpet Ready: Choose high points like cheekbones for well-lit conditions. Leave other areas matte or satin to get contrast and a polished look. Flashes also catch and amplify highlighter, so select one or two places for application to avoid looking overly shiny in photos.
» Discover how to prepare your face for makeup
Kiss Dullness Goodbye
A highlighter stick is a must-have for any occasion, letting you effortlessly maintain your dewyness throughout the day or add a dazzling evening glow. Experiment with different application techniques and finishes to find your new favorite look.
Whether you're new to makeup or an expert, discover brands and hidden favorites with Klever Beauty Box. It delivers eight full-sized cruelty-free products to your door monthly, perfect for exploring countless looks for any occasion.