Power of Primer: What Does Primer Makeup Actually Do?
Updated October 11, 2023.
Makeup primer is often considered an unnecessary step in a makeup routine, but it actually impacts the application and longevity of your makeup.
Silica, a common primer ingredient, helps to control shine, prevent creasing, and fill pores. But this cream can do much more. A National Library of Science study found that certain primers can even correct sun damage and its manifestations, such as fine lines and wrinkles.
Primers gained an important role in skincare and makeup in recent years. Whether you're a makeup novice or a pro, you can benefit your overall look and enhance your beauty routine by using them.
What Is Makeup Primer, and What Does It Do?
So, what does a primer do for makeup?
Primer simplifies applying makeup products by smoothing your skin. It creates a light, tacky surface so the product sticks and shields your skin from pollutants like smoke. Depending on skin concerns and the foundation finish you want to achieve, the results of applying primer can vary.
But today, there are many makeup primers even doubling as skincare. It's clear that its use cases have drastically expanded, so choosing the product can get confusing.
» Discover ways to apply and blend foundation
Types of Makeup Primers
A primer can drastically change how makeup sits on the skin and its longevity, so you must choose the right one for your skin type.
- If you have large pores and oily skin, you should opt for a mattifying primer with blurring properties. It can prevent skin oiliness, so your foundation lasts longer and doesn't move.
- For hyperpigmentation, a color-correcting primer can prevent redness from showing through your foundation because it gives you an even tone. You can even choose a tinted primer.
- With dry skin, the foundation sticks mostly to dry patches. A hydrating primer with illuminating properties can change the look and longevity of your foundation.
What Is the Purpose of Makeup Primer?
The purpose of makeup primer is to improve makeup application and double as skincare, as makeup sits and wears well on skin that's consistently cared for.
Primers can do one or multiple of the following things:
- Fill in large pores, lines, and wrinkles
- Smooth the surface of your skin
- Treat skin concerns
- Increase the longevity of your makeup
- Reduce shine
- Color correct
- Add luminosity to your skin
How to Use Makeup Primer: A Step-By-Step Guide
Here is how to apply makeup primer:
Is Makeup Primer Necessary?
Primers aren't a luxury step in your makeup routine, given the range available on the market. It has noticeable and proven benefits. If you want to look glowy without makeup, an illuminating primer. You can also use a moisturizing primer for an additional layer of hydration.
» Find out how to choose the perfect makeup brush
Embrace the Primer Revolution for Your Best Makeup Yet
Primers quickly became a staple for everyone, and for good reason. They increase the longevity of your makeup and help your foundation lay on your skin flawlessly. Some also protect and treat skin concerns. They're a product that's simple to incorporate into your routine, and its benefits are quickly noticeable.